A Publication of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Oakland
Catholic Voice Online Edition
Front Page In this Issue Around the Diocese Forum News in Brief Calendar Commentary
   
Mission Statement
Contact Us
advertise
Circulation
Publication Dates
Back Issues


Roman Catholic Diocese of Oakland



Movie Reviews

Mass Times



Web
Catholic Voice
placeholder
articles list
placeholder Pray for first responders
at Blue Mass
on Oct. 6

Red Cross honors Catholic chaplain
as first responder

Blessing of the animals, 2017


Travel

Walk with St. Paul
on pilgrim journey
in Greece, Turkey


Latinos to gather
at V Encuentro

Presentation Sisters close Los Gatos
center after 60 years

CSU Catholics
meet Sept. 24
in Hayward

Newman Hall fetes
50 years

New collaboration offers cathedral
music offerings


Catholic
High School
Information Guide

Diocese's newest
high school seeking
its founding class

Schools help hurricane survivors

Moreau Catholic Students incubate social justice ideas

Facilitating
life-long learning:
De La Salle's new
Learning Center

Summer Academy
hits the mark at
Bishop O'Dowd

SJND students
make friends, serve
in Chiloquin, Oregon

placeholder
placeholder September 18, 2017   •   VOL. 55, NO. 16   •   Oakland, CA

The Sisters bought the property, at the time a boys' school, in 1956.
COUrTESY PHOTO

Presentation Sisters close
Los Gatos center after 60 years

The Presentation Sisters, who taught widely at schools in the East Bay, including the former Presentation High School in Berkeley, have closed their 272-acre Los Gatos center.

In a statement, the Sisters said: "Presentation Center has struggled to maintain fiscal stability while simultaneously honoring its mission to provide a place for affordable opportunities for prayer, respite and spiritual renewal for individual guests and many groups from Catholic schools and other nonprofit entities. Despite the concerted efforts of the Board of Directors, the Board of Trustees and the dedicated staff, the center has operated with deficit budgets for a number of years."

Fewer sisters available for full-time ministry, rising operational expenses and substantial improvements required to maintain a safe and attractive infrastructure were cited as reasons for the closure.

The Sisters purchased the property, at the time, a private boys' school, in 1956, and turned it into a novitiate and retreat/vacation destination for professed Sisters and in the 1970s as a spiritual retreat and conference center.

 
back to topup arrow

home

 
Copyright © 2017 The Catholic Voice, All Rights Reserved. Site design by Sarah Kalmon-Bauer.