Senior Living & Resources
Choosing a home care agency you can trust
Licensed care providers are subject to regulatory oversight by the state.
Why is it important to hire a caregiver from a licensed home care agency?
When you work with an agency whose caregivers are licensed by the state of California you reduce the risk of abuse, neglect, fraud or inadequate care. Licensed providers are subject to regulatory oversight by the state.
What are the benefits of using a licensed home care agency?
• Are required to employ trained, licensed and state registered staff.
• Assume full liability for all care (which means that if a caregiver gets hurt while on the job the agency employing your caregiver is responsible).
• Do full background and reference checks, as well as state licensure requirements, including TB tests and fingerprint submission to the Department of Justice.
• Have experienced caregivers ready to work on short notice if schedules change or a previous caregiver becomes unavailable.
• Hire and provide all oversight, pay employee taxes, insurance and benefits, and develop and update client care plans.
• Provide education and skill training for caregivers.
When looking for the right agency for you or a loved one, please consider the importance of hiring someone who has been thoroughly vetted, is registered with the state of California and is an employee of that agency. There is nobody more important than you.
(Paula Silver-Manno, MPH, is director of Community Relations, Senior Alternatives Inc., Care Management & Home Care Services, 230 Grand Ave., Suite 100, Oakland 94610; 888-451-4290 and mobile: 510-701-2831; www.BayAreaSeniorCare.com.)
back to top