Catholic Schools Week
Schools to be closed
Our Lady of the Rosary
678 B St., Union City 94587
The Franciscan Sisters of Malta staffed the school when it opened in 1967 for pupils in first through fourth grades; one grade was added each subsequent year. A kindergarten was added in 1985. The order withdrew from the school in June 1973, and a Holy Names sister became principal; the staff was comprised of lay employees. After one year, the Holy Names order withdrew the principal and lay employees have staffed the school ever since.
ALL: ALBERT C. PACCIORINI/THE CATHOLIC VOICE
2634 Pleasant St., Oakland 94602
St. Jarlath School opened in fall 1930, with its first graduating class in 1934. Staffing was provided by 15 Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet. The last sister/administrator left in 1989 and was followed by the school's first lay principal.
320 San Carlos Ave., El Cerrito 94530
Five sisters of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary opened St. Jerome School in September 1955 with the first pupils filling grades one through four with a total enrollment of 160 students. A new grade was added each year until September 1959 when the school enrolled grades one through eight, and in 1982 a kindergarten was added. In 1985, an extended day care program, Red Balloon, was established to meet the increasing needs of working parents of the school's community.
St. Lawrence O'Toole
3695 High St., Oakland 94619
St. Lawrence O'Toole was founded by the Dominican Sisters in 1949 and currently serves grades transitional Kindergarten through Grade Eight.
|St. Martin de Porres
The three Oakland Catholic schools — Sts. Columba and Patrick and Sacred Heart — were combined in 1996, into St. Martin de Porres Regional School with a K-5 campus at Sacred Heart Parish in North Oakland and a middle school campus at St. Patrick Parish in West Oakland. Besides those parishes, the school is supported by the Cathedral Parish of Christ the Light.
675 41st St., Oakland 94609
1630 10th St., Oakland 94607
back to top