A Publication of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Oakland
Catholic Voice Online Edition
Front Page In this Issue Around the Diocese Forum News in Brief Calendar Commentary
   
Mission Statement
Contact Us
advertise
Circulation
Publication Dates
Back Issues


Roman Catholic Diocese of Oakland



Movie Reviews

Mass Times



Web
Catholic Voice
placeholder
articles list
placeholder Jubilarians

Salute to our sisters and brothers

As Church growth explodes, parishes can't keep up


Year of Consecrated Life

Bishop Barber
honors jubilarians
with Mass

Aging, the next
frontier for Holy
Family Sisters

Redemptorists fulfill mission of bringing Gospel to the poor

Over time, Mercy Sisters focus
shifted from
education to care

Precious Blood Missionaries celebrating
200th anniversary


New principals welcomed
at diocesan
elementary schools

Father Sullivan joins BOD as religion teacher, chaplain

Going back to
school with FACE

Holy Names
students inspired
at Youth Justice
Forum

Leadership changes
at Berkeley's School
of Applied Theology

Adoration gives
people a time to
contemplate God

Catholics@Work unveils 2015-16 speaker series

Apply now for grants
to feed hungry


Obituaries

• Rev. Austin
Conterno, SDB

• Sister Marian
Arroyo, SHF


St. Elizabeth golf tournament part of
the Lema legacy

St. Anne's wraps up
50th year events

Vailankanni festival
coming up

St. Patrick's Seminary
plans annual gala

Chautauqua focuses on Mary

placeholder
placeholder August 10, 2015   •   VOL. 53, NO. 14   •   Oakland, CA
Year of Consecrated Life
Above, some of the Redemptorist's ministry was to migrant workers in rural communities. They did much of this by transforming cars into traveling chapels. Left, most Holy Redeemer College, opened in 1925 as a minor seminary, and is now a retreat center.
Courtesy photos

Redemptorists fulfill mission
of bringing Gospel to the poor

St. Alfonso Maria de'Liguori, better known as St. Alphonsus Liguori, founded the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer in 1732 in Scala, Italy. Members of the congregation are commonly called Redemptorists, a religious community of priests and brothers dedicated to preaching the Gospel, especially the poor, mostly through parish missions and retreats.

 

Redemptorists
The Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer
Founded: Scala, Italy, 1732, by St. Alphonsus Liguori
Arrived in East Bay: 1925, Oakland
Original ministries: Conduct retreats and parish missions, parish ministry, migrant workers, rural poor
Current ministries: Retreats, parish missions, parish ministry, ministry to Kmhmu'/Laotian communities
No. in East Bay: Five, 11 in Northern California, 180 in Denver province
Worldwide: 8,000
Where serving in the East Bay: Redemptorist House (Oakland), Holy Redeemer Center (Oakland), St. Clement Maria House (Berkeley), Kmhmú/Laotian Pastoral Center.
For information: The Redemptorists of the Denver Province, Denver, Colorado;
866-788-0343; www.MaryPrayforUs.org

 
In 1842, St. John Neumann (1811-1860) was the first priest to join the Congregation in America and later became the first superior of the American Redemptorists.

The Redemptorists came to America in 1835 where they later formed two provinces. In 1925 they bought 43 acres of land in Oakland where they established Most Holy Redeemer College as a minor seminary in the western province. After its closure in the 1960s, the seminary was turned into a retreat center that continues to operate.

In addition to the seminary, Redemptorist priests were stationed in Oakland for various ministries, said Jennifer Murphy, archivist for the Redemptorists Denver province. "The Redemptorists are called to serve the poor and most abandoned, so some of their ministry was to the migrant workers and Spanish speaking population," Murphy said. They did much of this by transforming cars into traveling chapels as a way of bringing church to people working in the fields and those in rural communities.

In the 1930s, the Redemptorists established a mission house for the province called Villa San Clemente. According to the diocesan history book, "We Are the Church: A History of the Diocese of Oakland," the mission house was used as a place to send "parish missionaries" to assignments throughout the East Bay.

Today there are 11 Redemptorists in northern California, including five in Oakland and Berkeley. Of the five is Rev. Donald MacKinnon, who, though officially retired, continues to serve as director of the Kmhmú/Laos Pastoral Center in Richmond.

 
back to topup arrow

home

 
Copyright © 2015 The Catholic Voice, All Rights Reserved. Site design by Sarah Kalmon-Bauer.