10 secrets to happiness
1. "Live and let live." Everyone should be guided by this principle.
2. "Be giving of yourself to others. … If you withdraw into yourself, you run the risk of becoming egocentric. And stagnant water becomes putrid."
3. "Proceed calmly" in life.
4. "A healthy sense of leisure. … Consumerism has brought us anxiety" and stress.
5. Sundays should be holidays.
6. Find innovative ways to create dignified jobs for young people.
7. Respect and take care of nature.
8. Stop being negative. "Needing to talk badly about others indicates low self-esteem. … Letting go of negative things quickly is healthy."
9. Don't proselytize; respect others' beliefs. "The church grows by attraction, not proselytizing."
10. Work for peace.
— From an interview in the Argentine weekly "Viva" July 27, Pope Francis listed his Top 10 tips for bringing greater joy to one's life
Tony Gentile/Reuters, cns