A Publication of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Oakland
Catholic Voice Online Edition
Front Page In this Issue Around the Diocese Forum News in Brief Calendar Commentary
     
Mission Statement
Contact Us
advertise
Circulation
Publication Dates
Back Issues


Roman Catholic Diocese of Oakland



Movie Reviews

Mass Times



Web
Catholic Voice

June 9, 2014   •   VOL. 52, NO. 11   •   Oakland, CA
News in Brief


The film 'Camino' follows five pilgrims as they hike from southern France to Santiago de Compostela, Spain.

Spain's 'Camino': A month's walk

WASHINGTON (CNS) — The famed 500-mile "Camino" trek from southern France to Santiago de Compostela, Spain, takes pilgrims about a month or a bit more, depending on the pace, the pilgrim's fitness, any hurts sustained along the way, sightseeing and the like.

But bringing a film about the Camino to viewers took filmmaker Lydia Smith five years.

Smith did her filming in the spring of 2009 on a shoestring budget of $30,000. Since then, she's racked up $150,000 in debt for all of the editing, postproduction and publicity needs surrounding her documentary, "Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago."

When Smith "made the Camino," in the parlance of those who have gone on the journey, she did so as a pilgrim, not as an advance scout for making a documentary sometime in the future. In fact, she added, she resisted that idea. "It was so sacred to me," she said.

It turned out that when she was convinced to make the movie, she found out someone else was making his own film about the Camino: Emilio Estevez, directing his father, Martin Sheen, in the feature film "The Way," which was released in 2011.

"We were both looking for financing," Smith said. "They got the funding. I didn't."

Santiago de Compostela has been a pilgrimage site for the past 1,200 years when what are believed to be the remains of St. James were discovered there. Some go even farther, about 80 miles to an ocean town called Finisterre, which means "end of the earth," as people in those times believed the world ended at that spot.

Vatican Swiss Guards march in front of the Basilica of Our Lady of Lourdes in southwestern France May 16 during the 56th International Military Pilgrimage.
Paul Harring/cns
Soldiers lay down weapons for rosaries

LOURDES, France (CNS) — It looked like any other military parade with bands playing, flags waving and thousands of men and women marching in colorful uniforms decorated with medals and ribbons.

But instead of impressive displays of tanks and trucks, troops from dozens of nations fell in line behind religious banners, a large wooden cross and a rose-strewn statue of Mary. Candles and rosaries — not weapons or rifles — were held aloft in soldiers' hands.

Such scenes were common during the 56th International Military Pilgrimage to the sanctuaries of Our Lady of Lourdes May 16-18.

More than 12,000 retired and active duty military personnel, their families and compatriots from 36 nations took part in the annual encounter to pray for peace and the spiritual healing of nations and individuals. A large number taking part, and given special prominence in the many processions, were those wounded in the line of duty.

Among the military personnel tackling disabilities were about 60 retired or active duty U.S. soldiers together with another 60 caregivers, family members, chaplains and support staff.

They were participating in the "Warriors to Lourdes" pilgrimage, sponsored by the U.S. Archdiocese for the Military Services and the Knights of Columbus. The Knights covered the costs for the wounded personnel for the May 13-19 encounter of prayer, healing and friendship in Lourdes.

Blessing before race
Father Dale Grubba blesses driver Kurt Busch moments before the start of the 2014 Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway May 25. Father Grubba, pastor of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Princeton and St. James Catholic Church in Neshkoro, Wisconsin, has been a fixture for decades at tracks around his home state and elsewhere.
Thomas J. Russo/USA TODAY Sports via Reuters, cns

Embrace digital world

BROOKLYN, N.Y. — The Catholic Church must establish a presence in the digital world of communications or risk being at the margins of people's lives, said the president of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications. "If the church is not present and does not share the good news of God's love for all people in this world, then we risk becoming marginal to the lives of many and are failing our mission to bring the Gospel to the ends of the earth," Archbishop Claudio Maria Celli told more than 250 people at the Brooklyn Diocese's annual celebration of World Communications Day on May 22, organized by the DeSales Media Group, the parent company of The Tablet, the diocesan newspaper.




Punish negligent bishops

DUBLIN — The Vatican's chief prosecutor of sex abuse crimes said the church needs to do more to develop the process for punishing bishops who fail in their duty to protect children. U.S. Father Robert W. Oliver, promoter of justice in the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, said the church does have "procedures to deal with bishops who are negligent in supervision. It is a crime." However, he said more work needs to be done on the procedures. "We need to move forward on this. The law itself is there, the process itself needs to be developed. It is clear that it is a crime, but how we deal with this crime needs to be developed," Father Oliver said.




Inmates confirmed

SALEM, Ore. — Portland Archbishop Alexander K. Sample confirmed one of Oregon's most infamous prisoners May 28 in a heavily guarded private ceremony in the maximum security prison in Salem. In 2007 Gary Haugen was convicted and sentenced to death for murdering a fellow inmate while serving a life sentence for the murder of his former girlfriend's mother. In November 2011 Haugen gained notoriety for dropping his appeals and asking to be executed. Haugen was scheduled to be put to death for his second murder in December 2011, but his execution was put on hold by Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber, despite Haugen's pleas to end his life. On the afternoon of May 28, a shackled Haugen entered the small room followed by three other Catholic death-row inmates plus guards. Haugen, who said his heart was pounding, went to the floor and lay face down before Archbishop Sample, saying, "I am not worthy to be here." The prisoners — Haugen, Ricardo Serrano, Conan Hale and Jeff Tiner — were then closed in individual cages that included only a small opening. There were no chairs or pews, so Haugen stood through the entire Mass with a peaceful, gentle expression on his face. Though only a few feet from the archbishop, a sturdy crosshatch of iron kept them apart. Death-row inmates are forbidden to touch anyone, so it was unusual when the archbishop reached in to anoint the inmate's head gently.




Little concern after election

THRISSUR, India — Amid Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party's landslide victory in Indian elections, the secretary-general of the Catholic Bishops Conference of India said "the church should not be unduly concerned. We should not be alarmed or be scared," Archbishop Albert D'Souza of Agra said after votes were counted May 16. Explaining that the church has a "prophetic role" to play, the archbishop added that "the challenge before the church is to take a stand and remain alert to ensure that the sanctity of the constitution is upheld."




Bishops warn of plundering

OXFORD, England — Catholic bishops in conflict-torn Central African Republic warned that their country's wildlife and natural resources are being plundered by outside groups and demanded more effective leadership from the transitional government. "This crisis, with its insecurity and violence, are providing the instability which favors the anarchic and illegal exploitation of our resources," the permanent council of the country's bishops' conference said in a statement May 12.

Catholic News Service

 

back to topup arrow

home

 

Copyright © 2014 The Catholic Voice, All Rights Reserved. Site design by Sarah Kalmon-Bauer.