| Gifts for children, no batteries needed
After the batteries have long run out, these intangibles will long endure. They are recommended by Canaan Mantermach and Carl J. Pfeifer through the Department of Religious Education of the National Catholic Education Association.
• Time. It shows them how much they mean to you.
• Love. Nothing is more important than love.
• Sense of justice — that is, fidelity to relationships and responsibilities.
• Laughter and joy. Happiness nurtures. Morality is a by-product of growing up with laughter and joy.
• Celebration. Find something special to do each month as well as mark special occasions.
• Spirituality. Show the importance of prayer and Sunday worship.
• Forgiveness and healing. Never let children go to sleep without being forgiven for a wrong, or healing a hurt.
• Truth. Help them to be truthful and honest.
• Respect for the property of others. Give the example.
• Books. Urge children to read, and read aloud with them.
(Marianist Brother John Samaha is a retired religious educator who worked for many years in the catechetical department of the Oakland diocese. He now resides in Cupertino.)
back to top