Helping St. Michael School celebrate its 100th birthday are Linda Basman, assistant superintendent of the Diocese of Oakland schools; Sister Emmanuel Cardinale, OP, former principal of St. Michael School; Father Robert Mendonça, pastor of St. Michael Parish; Deacon Bill Archer of the parish; Tim Hooke, principal of St. Michael School; Livermore Mayor John Marchand; and Marilyn Egan, an alumna, school vice principal and second grade teacher at St. Michael.
St. Michael turns 100
The Centennial Birthday Bash on Sept. 20 at St. Michael School drew past and present teachers, principals and pastor, as well as city and county officials, to the Livermore campus.
Alameda County Supervisor Scott Haggerty, Livermore Mayor John Marchand, and Assistant Superintendent of Schools for the Diocese of Oakland Linda Basman were among the dignitaries joining Rev. Robert Mendonça and Deacon Bill Archer, as well as two honored guests known for their past service to the school: Sister Emmanuel Cardinale, OP, who served as principal and whose service at the school dates to 1972, and Marilyn Egan, an alumna, school vice principal and second grade teacher at St. Michael.
The school received a proclamation from the Alameda County Board of Supervisors, a proclamation from the city of Livermore and a letter of appreciation of 100 years of service to the Catholic community from the Diocese of Oakland.
The School also received an American flag, which was flown over the Capitol, from Rep. Eric Swalwell, D-Dublin. The proclamations are in the display case in the front hallway of the school.
The children and staff members had a great day celebrating together and remembering the 100 years of history. The students also compiled items to place in a time capsule, to be opened on Sept. 20, 2023.
A parish celebration Mass in the spring, followed by a celebration dinner, saw generations of graduates return to school to share memories.
St. Michael's Academy was dedicated on Sunday, Sept. 21, 1913. The first classes began the next day. Thirty pupils in grades one through seven were enrolled to be taught religion, academic subjects and music. The first principal was Sister Ambrose Garvin, OP. The first graduating class — 11 students — was in 1915.
Today, the school is a community of 235 students, in kindergarten through eighth grade, who celebrated and ate birthday cake on Sept. 20.
back to top