| All Saints, Cal State ministry to celebrate Mass
The first big event for the campus ministry at California State University East Bay will also be an historic event for All Saints Parish in Hayward.
On Sept. 29 — the first Sunday of the academic year on the Hayward campus — All Saints will take its usual 7 p.m. Sunday Mass outside its church building and up the hill to the campus. All Saints parishioners will join new and returning students for Mass in the Multipurpose Room in the New University Union.
Free parking will be available on campus for attendees.
The motivation for this event, Parish Life Director Steve Mullin said, comes from Pope Francis, who told clergy in Brazil this summer, "It's not enough simply to open the door in welcome, but we must go out through that door to seek and meet the people," and from the parish's theme from the past year: Radical Hospitality ... Radical meaning rooted/grounded in God.
"We hope not only to welcome the new/returning students but to invite them to become involved at All Saints and specifically in our 7 p.m. Sunday Mass," he said.
In other news, Eunice Park, campus minister, says the campus ministry program has now moved into the St. Joseph Center, near the campus. In addition to housing the ministry office, many activities will take place there during the year.
Also on the campus ministry calendar:
• Every Wednesday at noon, starting Sept. 25, Mass in the New University Union on campus.
• Every Thursday, from 6 to 8 p.m., starting Oct. 3, "Dinner & Discussion" series in the New University Union.
• Every Friday, starting Sept. 27, a "Student Social" series, a social activity at 3 p.m., followed by dinner, in the new Ministry Center.
• Every Monday, from 5 to 6:30 p.m., Bible study group in the dorms.
• Oct. 11-13 a retreat, hosted by the Maryknoll Center in San Lorenzo, on the theme of "Missionaries on Campus."
For more information, contact Eunice Park, campus minister, at CSUEB.CatholicMinistry@gmail.com.
back to top