A Publication of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Oakland
Catholic Voice Online Edition
Front Page In this Issue Around the Diocese Forum News in Brief Calendar Commentary
     
Mission Statement
Contact Us
advertise
Circulation
Publication Dates
Back Issues


Roman Catholic Diocese of Oakland



Movie Reviews

Mass Times



Web
Catholic Voice
 
August 12, 2013   •   VOL. 51, NO. 14   •   Oakland, CA
Other front page stories
 
Parish gets SMART
with healthy living initiative

 
East Bay teens, seminarians
transformed in The Tenderloin
Holy Sepulchre at 100:
Cemetery observes its place in history
 

The Mausoleum of the Apostles stands against the Hayward hills at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery. The cemetery's 100th anniversary Mass will be celebrated in the mausoleum on Sept.7.


Rick Davis, site manager at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, stands at the headstone of the first two burials at the Hayward cemetery. On July 2, 1913, Joseph Gallo, age 33, and Arthur C. Imerole, age 1 year, 2 months, were buried.
josÉ luis aguirre/The Catholic Voice photos

The Hayward Area Historical Society has an idea of what the property the Archdiocese of San Francisco bought from the widow of John Zeile in 1913.

The Hayward man who crossed the Bay to San Francisco almost daily to tend to his interests in the Pacific Flour Mill rebuilt a magnificent home on the rural property in 1879, a year after it was destroyed by fire.

Two years later, Zeile would die of blood poisoning, and the family's interest in the Hayward property diminished. Family members, well-settled in San Francisco, may have used it as a vacation home and leased the bulk of the property to neighbors, who used it to graze cattle and grow apricots.

More than 30 years after Zeile's death, his widow sold the property to the archdiocese. It was on this land, with apricots in season, in a rural area outside of urban limits, that Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, named for the tomb of Jesus, opened.

The first burials, logged in elegant handwriting in the Register of Interment, were of Joseph Gallo, age 33, and Arthur C. Imerole, age 1 year, 2 months, on July 2, 1913. Both had been moved from other cemeteries.

The first burial, from church to cemetery, would be Dennis Gannon, who died Nov. 10, 1913.

On March 23, 2013, the 80,000th body was interred at Holy Sepulchre.

The cemetery will commemorate its first century of service on Sept. 7. The Most Rev. John S. Cummins, the bishop emeritus of Oakland, will celebrate Mass at 11 a.m. in the landmark Mausoleum of the Apostles.

Afterward, the assembly will move to Section M of the cemetery, which is near the corner of Mission Boulevard and Harder Road, for a blessing of the first graves in the cemetery.

 



100th Anniversary

26320 Mission Blvd., Hayward
Sept. 7, 11 a.m. Mass in the Mausoleum of the Apostles, celebrated by Bishop Emeritus John S. Cummins

Procession to site of first burials for blessing

Light lunch will be served afterward

RSVP: 510-537-6600 or holysep@cfcsoakland.org

Have a photo or Holy Sepulchre memories to share? Send to holysep@cfcsoakland.org

Holy Sepulchre

Opened: 1913

Acres: 70 (40 developed)

Interred: More than 80,000

Interments per year: 950

Busiest visiting day:
Mother's Day

 
Afterward, a light lunch will be served, and guests will be invited to share their own photos and memories of Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.

A walk among the headstones is a journey through the history of Hayward, with the names of many of the area's founding families engraved on them. Many of the area's founding families, of Portuguese, Spanish and Italian descent, are interred there.

The cemetery reflects the changing community, with many ethnic groups represented and some areas set aside for various groups. A new area, with a statue of St. Andrew Kim, will provide gravesites for the Korean community.

A decade-long renovation of some of the earliest parts of the cemetery was the vision of Robert Seelig, director of Catholic Funeral and Cemetery Services, whose office used to be in Hayward.

The fact that the Hayward Fault runs behind the mausoleum may have had something to do with it, but many of those headstones were not standing straight.

In the million-dollar renovation, 10,000 headstones were reset; an irrigation system installed; and roads repaved.

"I thought it was important to renovate it," Seelig said, particularly when it came to caring for graves that families were no longer visiting.

"It was important to communicate that the Church would look after the property more than one generation ahead," he said.

Today Holy Sepulchre is the largest of the cemeteries in the Diocese of Oakland. Only about half of its land is in use today; there's room for at least 75 years of growth. With the trend toward cremation, and the ability to inter more family members in a plot, that number may be 100, or more, he said.

At the eastern edge of the developed area are three acres of vineyards, which produce sacramental wine. At Holy Sepulchre, pinot noir, chardonnay and primitivo grapes grow.

Holy Sepulchre's landmark is the Mausoleum of the Apostles. Built in 1929, by craftsmen whose names were not recorded, it is a rare, imposing architectural gem.

"We couldn't build a building like that today," Seelig said. "You couldn't find the tradespeople."

Beneath the mausoleum are the forms used to create the images, in sandstone and concrete, of Jesus and the apostles, which adorn the front of the building.

The interior, with niches of marble, is light-filled and, until the building of the mausoleum at the Cathedral of Christ the Light, had been designated as the burial site of the bishops of Oakland.

Recent additions are glass-front niches, which allow for the display of photos or personal artifacts alongside the urn for the remains.

It's all part of the increasing custom personalization that Rick Davis, the site manager, and Seelig see as the cemetery enters its second hundred years.

Davis had pointed out the return of the family mausoleum. In the past, a double plot held two graves, now, with cremation, that number increases to 18.

New technologies provide the opportunity to etch photos, or even longer stories, onto stone, offering more than a simple two lines etched in granite.

There are famous people interred at Holy Sepulchre — among them the golfer Tony Lema, who died in a plane crash at the age of 32. The St. Elizabeth High School graduate, who died in 1966, is interred in the Mausoleum of the Apostles.

The Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary have an area of the cemetery, where sisters' graves are marked simply.

But the cemetery is also one of small stories. Some are heartbreakingly small.

A small child had died, and there had been a mistake in getting the right location, and the young boy was buried in a grave at the cemetery's far southern end, near a fence separating the cemetery from neighboring Moreau Catholic High School's athletic field.

"The next day, a baseball flew over the fence, to the son's grave," Seelig recalled.

At first, the parents were upset the grave location was not right. But, too young to have played the game, the child loved the sport nonetheless.

Some took it to mean "He was meant to be there."

Next Front Page Article

back to topup arrow

home

 
Copyright © 2013 The Catholic Voice, All Rights Reserved. Site design by Sarah Kalmon-Bauer.