De La Salle Hall was built in 1927 for Saint Mary's move to Peralta Park in Berkeley after more than 60 years sharing campuses with Saint Mary's College, first in San Francisco (1863-1889) and then in Oakland (1889-1927). The building was razed in 1973 as an earthquake hazard.
Saint Mary's College High celebrates 150th anniversary
Graduation 2013 was historic for Saint Mary's College High School of Berkeley. This year's commencement was Saint Mary's 150th. The 141 members of the senior class of 2013 were joined by members of the Class of 1963 in an annual school tradition that brings the "Golden Grads" back to campus. The men of the Class of 1963 were graduated during the school's Centennial year.
The June 9 Sesquicentennial graduation exercises took place across the Bay at Saint Mary's Cathedral on Gough Street, about four miles from the original site of the high school at Mission Street and College Avenue in San Francisco. The high school was founded together with Saint Mary's College and Grammar School and was dedicated on July 9, 1863 by San Francisco Archbishop Joseph Sadoc Alemany, OP.
The De La Salle Christian Brothers have conducted Saint Mary's since 1868. Saint Mary's is the Brothers' oldest school in the West. The high school and college relocated to Broadway and 30th in Oakland in 1889 and separated in 1927 to larger facilities, the high school moving to Berkeley that same year and the college to Moraga in 1928.
In 1991, the high school also held its graduation in San Francisco, at Old Saint Mary's Cathedral on California Street, which itself has ties to the school. A secondary school opened by Archbishop Alemany in 1855 in the basement of the pre-1906 Earthquake cathedral on that site was a precursor to today's Saint Mary's High. For many years, the high school's graduations were held at St. Francis de Sales Cathedral in Oakland before the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake damaged the building beyond repair. The Golden Graduates tradition began at St. Francis de Sales with the Class of 1979 commencement.
Saint Mary's College High School has served generations of young people from families of all circumstances in the Bay Area and beyond for the past 150 years. Its graduates and their contributions to the Church and to their civic communities are her proudest and most lasting legacy. The Class of 2013 will continue this tradition. One hundred percent of the class has been accepted to colleges and universities locally and around the country. Fourteen diocesan grammar schools are represented in Saint Mary's Class of 2013.
back to top