A Publication of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Oakland
Catholic Voice Online Edition
Front Page In this Issue Around the Diocese Forum News in Brief Calendar Commentary
   
Mission Statement
Contact Us
advertise
Circulation
Publication Dates
Back Issues


Roman Catholic Diocese of Oakland



Movie Reviews

Mass Times



Web
Catholic Voice
placeholder
articles list
placeholder Groups to gather
for Youth Rally

Chrism Mass

46 graduates
complete faith
courses

Catholic entertainer's latest play explores depression, suicide

Religious pilgrimages a way to bring people closer to God

Holy Names University focuses on early admissions

Saint Mary's to offer degree in social justice leadership

Franciscan University among 'top colleges' in the nation

USF moves East Bay campus to Pleasanton

Catholic Underground's free event to feature prayer, musical concert

Hayward Knights of Columbus Council 1615 marks its 100th

Passion play

Communication workshop proves popular

SPRED offers information nights

St. Columba's Hope for Haiti helps children attend school

Communities unite to fight hunger,
one step at a time

Sharing the light

HIV/AIDS ministry service

placeholder
placeholder April 9, 2012   •   VOL. 50, NO. 7   •   Oakland, CA
Communities unite to fight hunger, one step at a time

The Bay Area has come together to fight hunger through a walk that will take place simultaneously in 11 cities on April 28 and 29.

 

Bay Area Walks

April 28
Oakland, 8:45 a.m. registration; 9:30 a.m. walk;
Cathedral of Christ the Light, 2121 Harrison Ave.

Pleasanton, 9 a.m. registration; 9:30 a.m. walk; Catholic Community of Pleasanton

April 29
Alameda, 1 p.m. registration; 1:30 p.m. walk; Washington Park, Alameda

Berkeley, 1 p.m. registration; 1:30 p.m. walk; St. Mary Magdalen Parish, 2005 Berryman St.

Antioch/Pittsburg, 1:30 p.m. registration; 2 p.m. walk; St. Andrew's Lutheran Church, Antioch

Fremont, 1:30 p.m. registration;
2 p.m. walk; Lake Elizabeth

 
The Diocese of Oakland will take part in the walk. One of the events will be at the Cathedral of Christ the Light, where it is expected that hundreds of people, including members of different religious communities will join to walk three miles around Lake Merritt.

The event aims to raise funds that will go to various organizations that offer food to the needy.

According to Joan Suflita, a cathedral parishioner and secretary of the walk's planning committee, 75 percent of the funds raised will be used for international aid and the remaining 25 percent is distributed to local agencies.

In Oakland, for example, 15 percent will go to the Food Bank of Alameda County, 5 percent to the Peace Center in Oakland and another 5 percent to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul.

"This is a great opportunity for the whole community, regardless of race or religion, to unite for one cause: to fight hunger in the world," said Suflita.

The hunger walk began in 1969, and has since performed in different areas. While some cities in the Bay Area have participated for several years, this is the first time the walk takes place the same weekend simultaneously.

Last year, more than 1,600 cities across the United States participated and collected $16 million nationwide, according to Rev. Nguyen Vy, regional coordinator of the walk in the Bay Area.

"This year we expect about 4,000 people to take a walk in the 11 cities in the Bay Area, and the goal is to raise around $ 300,000," said Nguyen, who invited friends and other sponsors to support the walkers with donations.

"We walked as a symbol that we are concerned neighbors, especially the less fortunate here and elsewhere in the world," said the Rev. Sandhya Jha, director of the Oakland Center for Peace and pastor of First Christian Church of Oakland.

That same reason motivates Rev. Raymond Sacca, rector of the Cathedral of Christ the Light. "Along with other participating groups and churches we can help alleviate the suffering of many in our community and support those who struggle to find food for their families," he said.

It is estimated that more than 1 billion people worldwide suffer from hunger.

To register, donate or get more information dial 510-848-7024 or visit www.bayareahungerwalk.org.

 
back to topup arrow

home

 
Copyright © 2011 The Catholic Voice, All Rights Reserved. Site design by Sarah Kalmon-Bauer.